Synthetic hourly-mean wind speed datasets for sites in the European Wind Atlas
Purchase complete synthetic datasets of hourly wind speeds for a wide range of locations in Europe.
These datasets have been generated to comply with the long-term measured statistics of almost
200 meteorological stations published in the European Wind Atlas.
The price of a single dataset is only £46, reducing with the number of sets you buy.
Some uses of the datasets are:
- Installers & Manufacturers: Perform detailed site assessment as a service to
individual customers or for general prediction of Wind Generator System performance in varying wind regimes.
- Training and Education: Study basic wind statistics for wind turbine power generation.
- Researchers: Use as input to renewable energy simulations, e.g. integrated Wind / PV / Hydro systems.
Advantages of synthetic datasets:
- no missing data.
- no anomalous years.
- inexpensive (real long-term hourly data can be difficult to obtain and very expensive).
- statistical characteristics are known before you buy - choose the right dataset for your application.
- available in standard and accessible form (real data from different weather stations can be in diverse
forms, sometimes requiring tedious preparation and lengthy pre-processing).
- no limit on the length of wind speed sequence that can be generated.
Sample dataset available:
Download a sample dataset (~89 Kb .xls) that contains a complete statistics sheet and 1 year of data.
Every dataset contains 10 years of hourly-mean wind speeds, synthesised to conform with statistics
published in the European Wind Atlas. The controlled characteristics of the time series are:
- Annual mean and mean-cube windspeed.
- Diurnal cycle determined by 24 pairs of Weibull shape and scale parameters.
- Annual cycle determined by a set of Weibull distribution functions for each month.
- Spectral characteristics (auto-correlation).
Datasets are provided as:
An Excel® 2007 file containing:
- A worksheet tabulating the statistics of the wind speed series.
- Embedded charts illustrating the statistics.
- A worksheet for each year tabulating the wind speed series by hour and day.
together with software for:
- A Matlab® "windspeed series" object containing the 87600 point windspeed vector and meta data
- The class definition for a "windspeed series" object, that includes the class properties and methods for
calculating and plotting basic statistics (Matlab programmers can readily add further methods if desired).
Complete sets for the United Kingdom and Germany are available immediately:
- Castle Archdale
- Fort Augustus
- Lowther Hill
Other sites in the European Wind Atlas will be available shortly. If you require a particular site
or country set, please contact us so that we can give priority to producing them.
Complete list of sites for which datasets can be produced (~ 90K PDF).
Click here for a brief technical description of the synthesis method and
some applications advice.
Conditions of Use, Price and Ordering Information:
A single dataset costs only £46 and you can buy all 22 UK sets currently available for £396 - just £18 per set.
The full price structure and ordering information is stated on the Order Form (PDF ~241Kb).
The datasets are supplied subject to compliance with the Conditions of Use (PDF ~278Kb) which you should read before ordering.