Long-term simulation of off-grid wind generator systems
This simulation package helps assess the viability of a proposed site for a wind-generator system (WGS) that is not connected to the electricity grid.
Minimising load outage becomes critically dependent on local energy storage as well as the power characteristic of the wind turbine and the wind environment itself.
If you can provide us with a modest amount of information on your proposed installation then we will run batch simulations to explore the effect
of varying parameter values on system performance.
You will get a CD containing detailed simulation data and a report. Learn more about WGS simulation and what the software does by downloading a sample client’s report (~1.5M PDF).
The main features are:
- Generation of a time series of hourly-mean wind speeds according to the statistics for one of 200 locations given in the European Wind Atlas.
- Alternatively, if you have a minimum of 6 months of hourly wind speed data for your site, we can synthesise wind speed series that have the same stochastic characteristics.
- Generation of turbine/generator characteristics, scaled from a nominal curve.
- A generic model of a WGS with local storage and charge control logic.
- Output of storage status and load down-time over a 10-year period.
- Simulations performed for various values of turbine rating and cut-in windspeed, storage capacity and load – typically 600 simulation runs in total.
- Acquire a better understanding of the action of your WGS.
- Estimate system trade-offs before committing to detailed studies or actual installation.
- Select an optimum combination of turbine size and storage capacity to minimise load outage.
- Assess how much load a specific WGS installation can maintain.
What we need from you:
- A location named in the European Wind Atlas OR your own wind speed data.
- A nominal turbine/generator power characteristic OR a set of up to 25 tabulated characteristics which you specify.
- Ranges of values for the main parameters in the WGS.
List of locations available (~ 90K PDF).
You will get:
- A report with details of the simulation and brief interpretation of results.
- A CD of Excel® files containing the time series of synthesised wind speeds and storage status and tabulations of all the main simulation results.
- Download a sample client’s report (~1.5M PDF).
Beyond the generic package:
We can work with you to produce bespoke simulations that, for example:
- Include additional features such as diurnal/seasonal load variation or temporary loss of generation.
- Assess the effect of the wind environment at different geographical locations.
- Refine the WGS model to represent a specific system's characteristics in more detail.
- Expand the model to include back-up generation, such as wind/diesel or wind/PV.
The guideline price for the generic package is £550 (+ VAT). This may vary, depending on how much data preparation is required for input to the simulation.